Harrison Grant is a leading environmental law firm. We regularly represent individuals, residents’ groups and campaign groups in environmental law cases. We are committed to safeguarding the environment and to providing excellent and affordable advice to all those seeking to do so.
We have extensive experience in using UK, European and international law to protect the environment and this may include challenging environmental decisions by government, local authorities and other public bodies.
We have been ranked as a Leading Firm in environmental and planning law by Chambers UK since 2011.
Chambers describes Harrison Grant as:
‘‘renowned for its expertise in environmental law, with extensive involvement in claimant focused public consultations, environmental nuisance, energy (nuclear new build, gas and deep sea drilling), climate change and environmental law at sea. The firm is particularly active in access to justice in environmental matters and regularly provides advice in relation to the Aarhus Convention and the Environmental Information Regulations’.
What do we mean by environmental law? Well, it covers a lot of areas including planning law, which has a separate page on our website. But it also includes matters such as:
- advice on remedies for noise, air pollution and environmental nuisance (eg problems caused by local industry works adjacent to residential areas); including bringing of private or statutory nuisance proceedings and negotiating settlements by way of mediation;
- advice on public participation in environmental decision making, including help with formal consultations
- prevention and remedying of environmental damage to natural habitats or wildlife under the Environmental Liability Directive;
- advising property owners on the impact of land contamination and their potential liabilities
- uncovering environmental information held by public authorities
Advising a resident concerned about dredging in specially protected estuary and acting through making environmental information requests and enforcing.
Advising residents who found themselves under new flight paths and disturbed by the noise, taking steps against the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the Department for Transport.
We are currently representing clients who are bringing a private noise nuisance action against a large wind turbine that has been sited too close to their property.
We have advised a campaign group on a successful protest against works carried out to woodland and natural habitats during the nesting season.
We are advising clients on challenging the extraction of oil and gas from a site in the Home Counties.
Advising a house purchaser on a negligence claim against their former solicitors for not advising them correctly over the environmental searches carried out when they bought their property
We negotiated a settlement on behalf of the owner of a flat that was above a fast food restaurant following odour complaints due to a faulty abstraction fan.